Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Telemarketing and Guilt (not what you think)

A telemarketing call made me feel guilty last night.

About 8:20pm yesterday Kristen was finishing up bedtime with my sons and I was tidying up the kitchen when the phone rang. I grabbed it quick (don't disturb bedtime) and was greeted by a friendly voice who identified herself as from the Cerebral Palsy foundation, calling to see if we had anything to donate for their next local pick up sometime next week. Like most of you, I am generally annoyed by telemarketing, but this was different. For one thing there was no pseudo-survey or other strategy to catch me off guard. The request was brief, specific, and right at the start of the call. The caller was bright and spoke clearly, and seemed sincere in asking for our help, but neither rushed or trying to engage me in unnecessary conversation. And I know that we have given to this cause before (which I believe is why we're on their list). It was actually a pleasant experience and I said "yes" happily, confirmed our address, and hung up the phone.

Then the guilt set in. Not because the caller made any effort to make me feel guilty, but because I suddenly remembered that I am a board member for another organization that also gathers clothing donations, and I rarely think to bring a bag of stuff there.

It got me thinking about how our giving, even to causes we genuinely support, often needs a little prompting. I like having the little envelopes from our church in my drawer to remind me to give weekly. Simple nudges that get my attention briefly are quite appreciated; and a lot more effective than a fridge magnet or coaster that quickly blends into the landscape. It doesn't feel intrusive to be encouraged quickly to do something I sincerely want to do; that's why my laptop and iPhone buzz me when I need to prepare for my next meeting.

I'm curious. What kinds of reminders for giving do you appreciate? What seems intrusive or causes the wrong kind of guilt? How do you remember to do the good you've decided to do?

And, does anyone want me to come b.y and get some gently used clothing to take to my next board meeting to help me overcome my guilt?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CHRIS! MINA HERE FROM COMPASSION SOCIETY. BY COINCIDENCE! WE ARE MEETING TOMORROW FOR MY LAST ONE ON ONE MENTORING SESSION WITH CATALIST. WOW! YOU CAN ONLY IMAGEING THE FIRST THING WE WILL DISCUSS... HA HA

CLOTHING DONATION IS USUALLY OVER 90% A BUSINESS. IT IS ONLY SMALL CHARITIES AND CHURCHES THAT ACTUALLY GIVE CLOTHES FREELY, WHAT HAS BEEN RECEIVED FOR FREE. I AM AWARE OF A CHARITY THAT CALLS PEOPLE AND THEY DO PICK UP, THEN THEY SELL THE DONATIONS BY WEIGHT TO VALUE VILLAGE, THIS IN TURN, MAKES A SMALL AMOUNT FOR THEIR CHARITY. (HOPE THAT WASNT TOO CONFUSING)

I WOULD ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO ASK, ABOUT THE DISTRIBUTION PRACTICES, OR IF THE DONATION YOU MAKE IS FORWARDED TO A THIRD PARTY AND THEN SOLD.

PEOPLE DRIVE FROM ALL OVER BURLINGTON AND AS FAR AS OAKVILLE, TO BRING DONATIONS, BECAUSE. "I HEARD YOU DONT SELL IT".

THANKS EVERYONE FOR READING MY STUFF AND CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE:

WWW.COMPASSIONSOCIETY.NET