Friday, December 5, 2008

Seminars, or is that Seeming Hours??

In the last year I've spent more time in a variety of leadership workshops and training seminars than ever before, including the last two days. I like learning and leadership is a topic for which I have a large appetite. So why is it that in the vast majority of cases I am checking email and facebook frequently after about 2:30pm?

Maybe I'm lazy, but from looking around the rooms I'm far from alone.

Having bored more than a few audiences myself I have a few respectful suggestions:

- "A=C" (Attention equals Contrast) I'll never forget arriving for the first lecture of one of my university courses to find a message on the board inviting us outside to meet under a large apple tree. The buzz among the students was remarkable and the professor worked hard to maintain that variety throughout the term. He also taught this principle. If you want people to be alert, do something they aren't expecting.
Sitting in the same seat all day, looking in the same direction at the same person, doing the same basic talk and powerpoint presentation pretty much guarantees we're going to tune out. The time I spent with Eagle's Flight gave an excellent example of how to do this right.

- "Passion + Perspective" I expect that if you've been given responsibility for presenting you are not only knowledgeable about the subject, but that it is important to you. Show me that what we're talking about matters. However, please remember that while you may make a living speaking and writing about a specific topic, the rest of us don't. It a rare expert who understands that what they offer is a single piece of our lives, not a universal panacea for all the ills in the world. Gary Collins brought refreshing notes of reality to his presentation.

- "Include, don't Quiz" It has become standard practice to invite people to give input or offer insights during the course of a session. Two way communication is a very good thing. But if you really don't want my opinion don't request it. I still see professional trainers who are expert in their field and full of relevant material who ask for participation but are really playing "Guess what I'm thinking", basically just waiting for us to say the magic words that lead into their next point. Frankly, it's a little insulting. In most of the seminars I've been to this year there are people in the seats who have significant experience and expertise to offer. If you aren't going to sincerely draw on that insight, don't pretend.

A couple closing bits:
-In 2009 Catalyst will be hosting our first seminar. It's going to be invitation only so we can focus on what we want to accomplish; and after this post I guess I'm committed to making it a worthwhile day.
-For the most part I prefer seminars to conferences, but I'd much rather grab lunch with the presenter than listen to her for six hours.

What makes a seminar worth recommending to others for you?

No comments: